When bands or studio folk approach me for work they ask about this. Of course gear isn't everything....
I have a lot of guitars, but when I play out or record, I use some of these:
- 1960 ES345 Gibson
- 1980 Telecaster w some mods
- 1999 Les Paul Standard w lots of mods
- 1958 Fender Duosonic, stock
- 1971 4 bolt strat, stock
- USA Strat set up w/ high action for slide (open E)
- 1966 SG
- 1999 Martin D28
- 1998 Matchless Chieftain
- Mesa Mark V
- Fender Blues Jr.
Keys: if I gig for you I will probably have some but not all of this:
- Nord Stage EX
- Yamaha MOFX
- Roland A-60 w piano card
- Emu Vintage Keys
- Kurzweil PC2R
- Minimoog Model D
- Access Virus
- Yamaha G3 Grand
- Symmetrix Switching Power Amps
- Rane Rack mixers
- DBX EQ
- Bag End PA/stage monitor
I mostly use Ableton Live nowadays because it damn near never crashes; I have used Protools extensively in the past.
My home studio includes a RME Fireface 803, AKG 414's, Shure SM81's, Shure SM57s, a super sweet Horch RM2J, an Avalon 737 preamp, a TAB mic pre, a Manley mic pre, gear I built, a really nice UA ADDA, and lots of fake keyboard/amp/compressor type plug ins.
My home studio has a very nice Genelec near field setup with Genelec Subwoofer and Meyer active EQ pro; my main room is tuned by Bob Hodas Acoustic Analysis
I have extensive studio experience working in different engineering capacities professionally for over 10 years and semi professionally for 20 more.
My recording philosophy (my site, my soapbox)
I am not a great believer in "computer fixes". Yes I fix an occasional midi flub, but not many, and what you hear on this entire site is, with a few exceptions such as Glitch type solos on "Chunk", are single takes, without a lot of dubs, MIDI fixes, etc.
- I am from an analog background, so playing crappy parts and fixing them with a PC isn't something I like to do. I am not into squeaky clean.
- Some of the drums you hear on this site are loops. Don't like 'em but I don't have a good room for recording drums.
- I am also not a great believer in EQ, especially plug in EQ. I try to get the sound I like without have to do a lot EQ wise.
- I use pretty extensive compression when mastering. Makes it sound more Rock and Roll.